Accepting New Technology

2:14 PM

My mother-in-law taught kindergarten for 39 years.  She will tell you that the first 38 years were amazing, gratifying, fulfilling and fun but that last year was a challenge. There are a couple of reasons why that last year was a challenge for her but the reason that hits home for me is her battle with technology.

During her last year of teaching (which oddly enough was my first year of teaching) we would constantly talk about our struggles. My venting was mostly about how long it took to plan, my time management, my classroom management and the dreaded STAAR test. Her venting sounded like, "I don't know Jess, this technology is too hard for me", "I need to get out the classroom because this technology is taking over", "I am too old to learn this new technology stuff" and "I'm done, I don't want any more professional

 development, I don't want to learn about technology". Every time I would hear her vent a little part of me would be crushed because I knew how  fabulous of a teacher she was and the thought that this new technology was spoiling her year made me uneasy. I would try my hardest to explain how it was "easy" if she just would give it a chance or that the technology she was using was great she just needed to "up the level" some more but she refused and her last year in the classroom was her worst year.

Well... fast forward 3 years later and my sassy mother law is a retired teacher that substitutes two times a week and a few weeks ago she sent me a text that said "Taught kinder today and oh my, I turned on the computer and the SmartBoard and when to Youtube and we watched StoryBots and the kiddos love it. Thanks" Let me just tell you, I am so proud of her! My mother in law has also recently signed up for a Pinterest account, is active on Facebook, purchases gifts online and is a proud owner of a Smart Phone she has become quite the techy retiree. So what was it that changed her fear of technology? I think honestly she felt pressure but, when she realized that technology is a TOOL and not a replacement for her she was able to have fun with technology and allow it to engage her and her students.

Education is always changing and as educators it is our job to help students prepare for their future. Today's technology will help our students complete everyday tasks and aid them in becoming lifelong learners. There are always issues in education but is technology really an issue that should push teachers out of the classroom and cause so much distress? Less than 60 years ago schools were segregated... that seems like a much bigger issue than giving students tools to investigate problems, have a forum for sharing their ideas and developing worldly ideas. We must support our teachers during this transformation of learning but teachers also need to take chances and be willing  to change...


Is technology really new!?



1 comments

  1. I love your story about your mother-in-law! My mom is also a retired teacher and at first, I couldn't even get her to text. Now, she's on Facebook, Pinterest, and has a smartphone. Although most people don't see any of this as a hurdle, teachers who taught for years are uncomfortable with technology. They need someone who is patient to help them with implementation one step at a time and now you get to be that person. :-)

    ReplyDelete

@JessicaBatchko



recent posts

#castleberryisd